Friday, November 19, 2010

Learning the hard way

Today was an interesting day. We started off the day well. Eli has now learned that once he wakes up instead of yelling for me he has started to just come over to my room & hop up in bed with me. I enjoy this time. Usually he will go to the fridge & get his milk first & then ask me to turn on the TV. I am so thankful for the PBS channel in the mornings. I know that if I go in & out of sleep for a while when he is watching this station everything will be appropriate for him. So, this morning, that is exactly what we did. He loves the warm bed (because I sleep with the heated mattress pad on all night) and he enjoys the time with mommy even though I'm not always awake. I enjoy sleeping in a little on days when we don't have to be somewhere right away.

Late morning my niece brought over her youngest daughter, Sadie, for me to watch while she enjoyed Thanksgiving lunch with her oldest daughter, Maddie, at her pre-school. I LOVED having a baby in the house for a while. Eli did so well with her here. He played in his room for a while since Sadie was sleeping & I was able to get a few things done around the house. I was so impressed with how he did with her. Once Sadie woke up she was laying on her blanket on the floor & Eli & I were playing together while she was cooing. It was very enjoyable for us all!

This afternoon Eli was tired & I did something I know I shouldn't have done. I gave him a nap. Only for a little over an hour, but now as I am writing this blog at 9:30 pm my little man is still awake in his bed & insists that he is not ready for bed. Yup. I will one day learn to just deal with the fussyness & put him to bed early instead of giving him a nap & dealing with the bedtime nightmare. Oh well, hopefully I will learn soon as I do this too many times.

I am so looking forward to Dan coming home tonight. I didn't tell Eli when Daddy would be home, just that he would be home tomorrow. I can't wait for him to be surprised in the morning. It will be great to spend some time together this weekend as a family.

Tomorrow is National Adoption Day so I am planning on doing a little celebrating together as a family. We are so thankful for adoption in our life. Even on the days when I am most exhausted by my little man, I am so proud to be his mommy. I am so thankful for the gift of adoption. Tonight as I close I am going to put a piece from one of my favorite books to read Elijah. It is called "My Adopted Child, There's No One Like You"

"You are the cub of my heart, Panda," said Mama. "You were born right here," and she touched her furry chest with her paw. "Don't ever forget that Papa and I love you very much and always will. We'll always be a part of each other, and even after you grow up, you'll always live in my heart."
Panda understood. Adoption was a special thing indeed. It came straight from the heart. "I love you too, Mama."

No comments:

Post a Comment